Yum, yum. Thanks to meaty-tasting portobello mushrooms, this satisfying stroganoff has the rich flavor of the traditional version without all of the extra fat and calories. Recipe contributed by Laura Theodore, from Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites* © 2013 BenBella Books, reprinted by permission.
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour, plus more as needed (see note)
- ½ cup filtered or spring water, plus more as needed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole-grain rotini, fusilli, or other pasta of your choice, cooked and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Put the onion and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add more broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the onion becomes dry.
Add the portobello mushrooms, basil, tamari, and cayenne pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, adding more broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add the cremini mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1½ cups broth. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, adding more broth as needed.
Put the flour and ½ cup water in a blender and process until smooth. Briskly whisk the flour-water mixture into the mushrooms.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid has thickened to form a gravy. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over the rotini and garnish with parsley.
Note: If the gravy is too thick, thin with additional broth to achieve the desired consistency. If the gravy is too thin, thicken with additional flour to achieve the desired consistency.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Mushroom lovers, rejoice! Here are more mushroom recipes for you.